Friday 14 November 2014

Attending my cousin's ordination as a Minister

This week has been quite busy with my cousin's intended ordination as a Minister for a Samoan evangelical church here in Auckland. From Samoa, my aunty summoned her children from far and wide and we met last night at my parents house (they're back from Samoa for a time) and it was good to meet my cousins who had been mainly brought up in Samoa but now live in USA, Australia and NZ (diaspora).

It made me think about how Samoans, in particular, revere having Ministers in their families ie. that people can be called from far and wide for this special occasion. Fine mats (ie toga) and money exchanging hands. Moreso than a graduation, and on par with having a wedding or funeral. It will be a two day occasion with a blessing on Saturday followed by a family occasion on Sunday. Will keep posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment