Thursday 20 November 2014

Indie/Self publishing

Indie/Self publishing is definitely not for the faint hearted. Since graduating last year with a Masters degree in Creative writing, I found that little time was given to discussing self publishing and if anything, most of what I have learnt has been through my own research time and effort after the fact.

I can't wait until I am able to flick through the pages of my first Indie published books but there are so many things to consider like; the front cover design, the amount of pages, the paper for the books and font, layout, editing - not to mention the ISBN no., the writing name that I will use etc. and that's before even mentioning the contents of the book.

The first two books awaiting this production process are: "Pacific Hibiscus" my first collection of poetry and "Maui and Sina" my first play that I wrote that was performed at the High school that I as working at, in fact it makes me think that I should go into my archived photos and see if I can source some photos of that time and place.

It's quite exciting but also daunting to have to project manage both books from start to finish and at present trying to source funding through 'pledgeme' on: www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/2757. Only 10 days to go but I have certainly learn a lot though the process and that is that... self publishing is not for the faint hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment