Friday 28 November 2014

Greenstone gift (pounamu)

Was blessed yesterday when I received this carved greenstone from Maria, a first year student, from one of the degree classes that I support. She explained that she travelled to Mercer (some 2 hours) to acquire it, a precious stone in New Zealand that has a lot of special significance to Maori.

The 3 ridges signify the 3 baskets of knowledge and the shape is in the form of a teardrop. My younger sister, Maria also received one from another student that she works with in a different shape with the same ridges and with much appreciation.

For Maori the significance is when you receive it as a gift rather than buying it for oneself. I'll be wearing it on special occasions as this is not given out easily. Often it is due to ones service to others and I feel very honoured to receive this and it also got specially blessed for me as the wearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment