Friday 15 January 2016

Beware Chikungunya virus in Samoa...

 Image result for chikungunya EnglishAs my parents return back to Samoa after spending the Christmas/New Year holiday with us and having spent a short time in November in Samoa, I think it important to issue a warning for travellers there to be aware of the Chikungunya virus that 4 of my 5 travelling party came down with upon returning to New Zealand.

Our families living in on the Upolu Island were not at all affected but having travelled around to Savaii and then returning, somewhere along the way, one of our party first contracted it with a red rash like affect on her chest. It looked like measles but without a fever.

Within a couple of days, I had a very sore back and within days of returning, others in our travelling party came down with headaches, swelling on feet, hands and the rash spending around the body i.e. face, leg, hands etc. I was able to continue working, although it was a little sore to walk around and going upstairs was quite a mission. In fact, I felt as if I had aged overnight and it was quite sore to move at times. Others in my family were unable to work and just wanted to sleep it away.

Upon visiting the doctor, we were told that it was becoming more common in Samoa and that it was a virus spread through contact with infected mosquitoes; that it usually would start with a red rash (looks a little like measles) and then limbs can become swollen and sore and feels arthritic. We were also told that the best cure was prevention with lots of mosquito repellent to use at all times and upon reviewing our trip I realised that it was only in Savaii that we didn't use repellent.

So that would be my suggestion to any travelling to Samoa to be aware and vigilant as I am aware that there is a church party from my birth church, Mangere PIC, who will be travelling to Samoa in the next few days. "Be calm and wear insect repellent..." the consequences are very sore indeed!

Image result for chikungunya English

No comments:

Post a Comment