Monday 25 January 2016

Grown up colouring book... highly recommended!

A sample of my grown up colouring book page in "Secret Garden" by Johanna Basford (2015)
Last year, I gifted myself, on my birthday, to a grown up colouring book which was the latest craze in books and the first one in colouring books for grown ups that I'd ever heard about. Note that I don't use the word Adult colouring books as I've been told that that sounds like they're the X-rated ones (and didn't know that anyone would be interested in those either.)

Anyway, I'd read about it probably on one of the Facebook articles and then read in more detail on her page about how Johanna Basford started her journey, in Scotland, as an illustrator turned ink evangelist and got her drawings published as a colouring book collection geared towards adults.

There have been many copycats or rather a craze started particularly in the US in watching a doco about it on TV last year in how it has spawned a new industry and hit record sales in NZ last year over Christmas and all over the world. So that if you go to a book store, you'll see many different examples of colouring books for adults but I prefer Johanna's one as it was the original.

The interesting thing was that when I first started colouring, having taken it to Hawaii on the plane, and then continued over the holidays, I found it very therapeutic but the only problem being that it gets a bit tedious, for me, to colour in the little detail. Instead, I find I can only colour in little sections on one page and then move to another. So if you look at my pages, you'll see some only half finished as I definitely can't stay long on one page (I get a little bored).

It might take me a few days to finish one page as I'm colouring several at a time but I do enjoy the little spots of time I get. So, if you're thinking about wanting to give this a try, I'd highly recommend it as a de-stressor and you even get to admire your own work afterwards. Some books even have single pages whereby you can tear/cut it off and place in a frame to put on your wall...


No comments:

Post a Comment