Wednesday 14 October 2015

Fakalofa lahi atu... Celebrating Niuean language week...

Image result for niuean language week Fakalofa lahi atu, it's Niuean language week here in Aotearoa, New Zealand although I think the majority of Niueans live in Auckland. I haven't yet had the privilege of visiting "the Rock" as it's called now that there are more than the weekly flights that used to be all that would connect NZ with Niue.

During my career and travels in education, I've been in great company with strong Niuean women that I've met along the way starting with Pefi Kingi, who was a strong advocate for Pasifika issues as a beginning teacher and then my colleague Mele Heketoa who's a JP (Justice of the Peace) and has been a past Community Board member. A children's book writer, Lino Nelisi, whom I'd worked alongside many years ago at the University of Auckland's TEAM Solutions and most recently my good friend and prayer partner Cecily Taufelila and Mary (Mez) Aue founder of Coconut Wireless.

Growing up in the Mangere PIC church, I've had many encounters with Niuean people as not being as confrontational as Samoans can sometimes be but for some NZ'ers, the Pacific language weeks are insignificant to them because they may not be in contact with many but to me, and the many other people who recognise the importance of such weeks, it is significant in honouring each Pacific Islands nation and the relationships that we have or should have with them...




No comments:

Post a Comment