Friday 2 October 2015

Ready for attending my 1st NZ Independent Book Festival for 2015

 I must say it's a bit daunting to be attending my first ever NZ Independent Book Festival in 2015 as a newbie author with 4 books on the go and much, much more to come. It's that same feeling I get before a book launch that even after the 4th, I still get a bit queasy in not knowing what exactly it entails but as usual will throw caution to the wind, step out in faith and give it my best.

It's just that it such a short time span, things have changed so much in coming from a dream to realising it in reality. It definitely requires quite a lot of work and planning as well as organising and coordinating. It's a different role for me because it makes me go out of my comfort zone and already I'm seeing the benefits but am aware also of the very many things that need to be done still in order to see it fly even higher.

Aligning myself with other Independent writers/authors is quite a statement because it was just 3 years ago when I went to complete a second Masters degree in Creative writing that I realised that there just weren't many publishing companies out there who were now ready to take the gamble on new writers unless they were confirmed best book sellers. Now that I've started, I can see the road ahead and there's still a way to go.

So here I am now meeting with other Indie/Independent writers/authors and it's going to be interesting to move into this space because I already know that there are few and far between Pasifika authors but will definitely be putting best foot forward to learn as much as I can over the next two days.

For other budding writers, one of whom I met yesterday, I would say to go and find out as much info as you can in what it is that you want to do because every writer's journey is different and I feel that for me my backstory confirms where I am today (something I heard from Ps Cy Rodgers). So consider your backstory and see if it confirms the purpose of where you are today and if not then move...

No comments:

Post a Comment