Wednesday 7 October 2015

On meeting Dee Pigneguy of "Sonja's Kitchen" book...


Last weekend, I had the privilege of meeting with Dee Pigneguy at the NZ Independent Book Festival who co-wrote a book with Sonja Raela called "Sonja's Kitchen  Sustainable cuisine from the Cook Islands." 
As we discussed similarities between the Cooks and Samoa food health, I discovered that she has a passion for healthy cooking and healthy living and could see the benefits that her book could have on many Island populations that have forgone eco friendly foods for tinned canned and processed foods of convenience including Samoa and American Samoa.
She reminded me of my mum who is also a fabulous home cook in Samoa and in NZ who now spends most of her time in Samoa with my dad. So as I browsed through Dee's lovely book (which she gifted me with of which I am so thankful for) and I pleasantly feasted on the colourful images of tropical fruit and fauna (scientific names included) with beautiful pics of recipes that have been thoughtfully and carefully prepared.
I'll be sharing it with my mum and taking it to Samoa with me on our family trip next month to see if there would be interest of a similar book for Samoa and I'd like to try the famous Sonja's coconut cake with real coconut because I don't actually like the taste of dried and desiccated coconut. 
Dee also has another book which is recently released that identifies patterns in nature and I think all primary schools should have such a book which is graphically amazing to the eye and sees naturally patterns in an artistic way (to me). 
Keep up the great work Dee, you have so much to share with readers young and old...

No comments:

Post a Comment