Tuesday 27 October 2015

Vegan or Vegetarian the diet of Samoan ancestors ...

 I remember visiting my family as a bridesmaid at a family wedding in Samoa back in 1990 and I was a semi Vegetarian i.e. I didn't eat red meat but only white as in fish and not really pork. It was a real hit with the families that I stayed with because fish was easy to catch or just the usual staples of taro, lu'au (cooked taro leaves in a umu), green bananas, breadfruit, ripe bananas, mangoes and plenty of coconut cream. A way cheaper way of living.


I think that was more in line with the staple diet that my ancestors ate many, many years ago before the influence of Western palettes that have brought with it fried chicken, an expensive McDs, fasi povi masima (pickled meat) and lots and lots of tinned food with it's dietary concerns of high blood pressure, diabetes and other heart related issues which have recently become a concern in Samoa.


So going back to the 'homeland' or 'motherland' next month has brought about my decision to go Vegan until then which is to have no dairy added into a Vegetarian diet. So far, so good and on my 2nd day of a 30 day challenge which ends about the time that I reach Samoa with my family although we'll see as I might extend it..


I think my ancestors had it right and we've strayed too far with the beckoning of a quick fix and instant gratification in a meal. Perhaps now is the time to consider the health benefits of what our ancestors ate as staples which was food from the plantation or nearby garden and supplemented with fish or other vegetation and fruit. Much like it is for my parents in living more 'greener' and closer to more natural foods without the use of pesticides, herbicides and other chemical nasties.


The last time we were there it was at the 50th Jubilee celebrations of Samoa's independence in 2012 and now 3 years later we're back for more. Samoa, here we come...

No comments:

Post a Comment