Tuesday 9 February 2016

Observing Lent Feb 10 - 24 March 2016...

Image result for lent 2016 This morning, on Radio Rhema, I heard about an announcer getting ready to observe Lent and it reminded me of a best friend, during my teaching days, who was also Catholic and observed Lent over a period of 40 days in having to give up something during this period of time i.e. ice cream and other delights.

Today, I spoke to an Anglican friend of mine and she also observes Lent starting tomorrow and after 40 days will end on Easter Sunday. Growing up in the Presbyterian church, we didn't observe Lent but heard about it. It's a special time in the Christian calender that symbolises the 40 days that Jesus spent in the wilderness before going into His ministry.

I've found it very interesting in observing my friends in that it is quite involved in the various activities that are observed such as Shrove Tuesday with pancakes, Ash Wednesday, the washing of feet, Palm Sunday, eating austere foods during the time and Easter celebrations.

I've yet to decide as to how I will symbolically observe Lent with my family as not just yet another weekend of Hot Cross buns, moulded rabbit chocolates and Easter eggs but a time that remembers how a life was sacrificed that reverberated change throughout the world and still to this day. Due to one mans life, his death and then his new life, the world will never be the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment