Saturday 22 June 2024

Independence and freedom as a writer and/or poet...

 

Today, when I was searching through my names with the ideas of rebranding, I came across a blog called 'NZ Poetry Shelf' and an article written by Paula Green.

She wrote a piece reviewing the Pasifika poets anthology, which one of my poems recently featured in. It was a delight to find that when interviewing one of the three editors called Mere, she was quoted as saying...

"A high was discovering poets who were writing outside the scrutinizing glare of the literary establishment. I am referring to poets like Maureen Fepuleai and Faalavaau Helen Tau'au Filisi who take on print publication projects on their own without the involvement of presses like AUP, and OUP..."

Incidentally, AUP is Auckland University Press (my being an alumni from my first University of Auckland University) and OUP (Otago University Press). Both presses are attached to their respective universities.

Although I had considered AUP, it's only ever been a consideration as I've enjoyed my independence and freedom of speech. The independence of being able to write about topics that are important to me and may not be to an established publisher keeps me independent and not chasing after the mighty $$$.

It's also an encouragement for would-be writers to try some pioneering self-publishing. My parents and grandparents were pioneering especially when moving to a new land, putting down roots and trying to navigate in a new location.

It was indeed a highlight to have been gifted with an opportunity to have some of my writing added to a published in a Pasifika poetry anthology. It certainly validated for me that one does not have to "ask for permission" from the academy to write and publish poetry but that through an authentic journey of writing discovery, one may just decide to publish their own...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment