Friday 7 June 2024

"The Gruffalo" & "The Snail and the Whale" movies...

 

Today, I took my youngest out to watch a couple of movies that I had been looking forward to watching for a couple of months now. The first is a movie of the book called "The Gruffalo". Interestingly enough, I don't recall reading it to my youngest but upon watching the movie today, I now understand its appeal.

It's a picture by Julia Donaldson, who is the author, and Axel Scheffler, the illustrator. The book featured on the critically acclaimed movie "The Blind side" (2009) starring Sandra Bullock as the main female character. I think it even won her three awards i.e. an Academy Award, A Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild award.

I think the metaphor was that the main character of the movie "The Blind side" was seen as being similar to the Gruffalo in that he was expected to have been mean as a football player but instead he was more of a gentle giant.

The second movie that we watched directly after the first was called "The Snail and the Whale" by the same author and illustrator. Both films had beautiful animation and the storylines were neat for kids too. 

As for me, it was neat watching it as an adult who also likes to produce children's picture books. I think the animation of story books like both are neat in bringing the book to life in ways that elevate it from being on the page.

Both films are highly recommended and especially for young children or those who appreciate good storylines, a bit of adventure and neat animation...

No comments:

Post a Comment