Saturday 13 December 2014

A second prize giving winner - overcoming obstacles



Last night was another winner for our middle child having received awards that included a certificate for top literacy prize in her class with a book prize and a $ voucher. Congratulations my dear, you have overcome obstacles and still achieved. May God bless you in your journey ahead.

Teachers have a lot of influence on a child's achievement (both +ve and -ve) which is often underestimated. Having been a secondary school English teacher myself, it takes a lot of determination for a student to succeed despite this. I learnt this through my own experience in education in Mangere where I had a mix of both inspirational teachers and lazy, couldn't-care-less self-centred teachers who really didn't bother to teach students well.

Although I wasn't the 'best' teacher when I first started in my teaching career, I know that I certainly tried to make a positive difference and I especially observed this when I became a teacher for a few years and witnessed office politics and teachers behaving badly in and out of the classroom. One of the main reasons I stayed clear of staff rooms and why I am very interested in my children's educational environment.

Today, I am very involved in my children's education and keep abreast of what they are experiencing in the classroom in daily interacting with them in conversations about how their day went. I try not to 'rescue' them and allow leeway in letting them make their own decisions, mistakes (sometimes) and to explore their ideas. Our two elder children have achieved well, thus far, and we are thankful to God. Malo le taumafai.


No comments:

Post a Comment