Friday 5 December 2014

He Waka Hiringa - Masters Exhibition




We say farewell today to Dr Manulani Meyer who leaves Te Wananga o Aotearoa back to the shores of her home in the Islands of Hawaii. Going to miss her especially as she had already accepted to be one of my PhD supervisors but hope to keep in touch with her.

This particular Masters programme is the first of its kind in the world and upholds the importance of indigenous knowledge much of which has become lost and only found in museums, old photos and books where current indigenous generations are no longer the holders of the knowledge etc.

I thank God for allowing me the privilege of learning and accessing much knowlege about old Samoa in my first Masters thesis (Geography) through my parents and grandmother and some of the elders who have since passed on. I hope that my writings soon to be published, will reflect some of that knowlege to future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment