Sunday 28 December 2014

Last weekend of 2014 - Carrot cake recipe

This last weekend of 2014 has been 'kick back' day/s (as my children love to say) with no plans, no pressure and just taking it easy. I've been catching up on a bit of reading with another book review pending and enjoying my time with them. Also have my lil' sister (with her 19th birthday next month) over for the holidays and it's nice to see them sharing ideas on music, art and everything else in between.

My mum's a great cook and really miss her cooking (she was also my inspiration in crafting) as she's enjoying leisurely retirement days by the beach with my dad in Samoa. I must admit that as a family, we were really spoiled with her cooking as she poured a lot of love and great technique into her each dish. My year older sister is similar and I picked up a few tips but I like to only stop by at the kitchen for short lengths of time. Hence...

Last night, I made a carrot cake and it's turned out beautifully moist and thought to share the recipe with you (from the Edmonds cookbook) which I've perfected for my own taste over the years.The measurements are approximate as you can add to taste. I call it the 'one bowl cake' because I put it all into the one bowl and then transfer it into a large cake tin to bake.

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 - 1.5 cups sugar
0.5 - 1 cup oil (I use vege or canola)
2.5 - 3 cups flour
2 teaspoons Baking soda
handful of sultanas
1 medium tin pineapple pieces (add in juice)
handful of cherries (without pips)
chopped walnuts (a few to taste)
1 - 1.5 cups grated carrots (I clean them but unpeeled)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until all folded in and mixed well but don't over stir. Pour into a greased large cake tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Prick test (with a fork) to see if cooked. Then cool and serve.

I do sometimes add a cream cheese frosting which is simply made as:

1 - 1.5 cups icing/powdered sugar
1 small container of cream cheese 
couple of drops of lemon juice or lemon essence

Mix well in a bowl and when cake is cooled, spread onto of the cake to decorate and then serve with tea/coffee.

Makes a nice 'fruit cake' for these 'kick back' summer days.
Enjoy..

P.S. Please leave feedback if you tried the recipe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment