Monday 29 December 2014

Last days of 2014 - Book Review

Book Review of: Beary Grylls' "A Survival Guide for Life: How to achieve your goals, thrive in adversity and grow in character."
(c) 2014  Bantam Press, Great Britain.

It's neat being able to squeeze in time to catch up on some very inspirational reading. This particular book is a condensed version of wisdom and experience over many years. I read his best selling book "Mud, sweat and tears" a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how (although it was quite substantial) - it was easy reading and fascinating to know the background as to how he got his TV series started and he even climbed the Himalayas!

I would definitely recommend both books to read and particular to inspire men. I like how he is very candid about his experiences and not at all macho as some people might think. This particular book is a paperback with some 280+ pages full of quotes, old wisdom sayings and relates to his knowledge of surviving. He's also shares Christian principles that I also value and he made me reflect on things in my life too. Very easy reading.

I'd also encourage women and teenager/young adults to read through this book as it helped me to reflect on my goals and encourages us to think outside the square and to see our obstacles etc as a means to getting to the destination. I also like how he shares universal values about giving and being humble as opposed to showing off - traits that I was encouraged about by my parents.

I see this book as one that I will be referring to again and again. It was given to my eldest child for her prize giving and I think well picked as to have this information as one grows up is better than hindsight.


No comments:

Post a Comment