Tuesday 23 December 2014

Keepsake box and a violence-free Christmas

At last week's end of year work breakup and Christmas outing with work colleagues, we had a 'secret Santa' event whereby you draw out another colleagues name (from a hat) a few weeks ahead and then you are to buy something to the value of $10. A neat friend bought me a 'tea cupboard' which I then transformed into a keepsake box.

It reminds me this Christmas season about some of the families who won't be having a very merry Christmas. I remember a few years ago, I volunteered with the Salvation Army (Christian charity organisation) to support a family whom had gone through a lot of difficulties. I was to assist and 'mentor' of sorts. We were given Christmas gifts to share with them and we'd share about our lives. I particularly got to know the mother well.

Over the course of a year, I learnt a lot about how alcohol and drugs, poverty through choices and the limits of having no qualifications had taken a toll on her family. Unlike the nice keepsake box that I had symbolizing beautiful memories of my life, her's in contrast seemed shattered by abuse, neglect and trauma yet she was such a beautiful women who needed a lot of support.

As time went on, I discovered that some families were well known to the police during Christmas season for violence and it's sad to think that children were often a witness to it. Even swearing to a partner/spouse which is often caused by anger, to intimidate and control a situation in order to instigate fear should not be tolerated and is a form of psychological abuse/violence. This Christmas season may it be violence free for many especially where children are concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment